Monday, January 21, 2008

Facundo Continued...

The conversation held in class, in which we discussed that underneath the frock coat of every Argentine is a gaucho, resonated in my mind as I read the remainder of the book. The passage describing how “...the spirit of the Pampas is there in every heart, since if you lift up a bit the lapels of the tailcoat in which the Argentine disguises himself, you will always find a gaucho, more or less civilized, but always a gaucho.” (p. 167); defined the essence of Facundo me. The passage I believe compliments this sentiment is “When evil exists, it is because it is in things, and only there should one search for it...” (p. 145), proving that disguising oneself as “civilized” is futile because inherent in the individual is his innate barbarism. I had a hard time accepting the statement that Facundo “wasn’t cruel, wasn’t bloodthirsty...” (p. 175) because the graphic accounts throughout the rest of the novel would not support this statement (e.g. when Facundo bathes Severa VillafaƱe in her own blood and splits her head open!). The recurring color red sent chills down my spine as every time I came across it I envisioned terror and blood. I found myself stumbling over names and often forgetting the exact significance of the characters being presented. I was somewhat shocked in chapter 10, when Facundo showed a glimmer of humanity. I felt somewhat confused when Facundo showed mercy to the poor shopkeeper, showing a glimmer of hope that even a “Tiger” like him was capable of kindness. I say I was confused, because this random act did not coincide with the image I have of a man who cuts off his lover’s ears. Despite the excess blood, terror, and death in the book, the closing pages inspired hope. I was very appreciative that Sarmiento concluded his book in this fashion. His statements beginning “Because he has...” (fill in the blank with something terrible that was done) and concluding with what the new government will have to do, left me with a sense of hope that everything was going to be ok. This forward movement that learned and cultured people can overcome barbarism was an inspirational way to end the book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your analysis about the book, It is very interesting how you explain that Facundo wasn’t so bad as Sarmiento says in the first half of the book, don’t you think that maybe Sarmiento is proud about the Gauchos? I think that the term “barbarism” is used to describe Rosas. At the beginning it seems to be Facundo and the gauchos, but at the end, Facundo is in the story of Argentina as the best example of the gauchos and Rosas as the dictator who made a lot of damage to Argentina.

Maybe Sarmiento was converted as Facundo, but Facundo was converted from “gaucho” to “civilized” and Sarmiento was converted from “civilized” to “gaucho”. Inside, both of them are still the same person; Argentinean citizens.

Darja M said...

I, too, don't buy that Facundo wasn't bloodthirsty when, as you say, most of his actions throughout show quite the opposite.

I also agree that the hopeful ending was refreshing after all the very graphic, cringe-inducing details of executions, the literal descriptions of blood and the extensive symbolic use of red.